A friend recently shared her disappointment about not landing a job because she’s a “generalist” or, like she said, a jack-of-all-trades, not a “specialist”. It got me thinking – are we missing out on the awesome perks of having a generalist on board?
What’s a Generalist?
Generalists are like Swiss Army knives – versatile and ready for anything. They have skills spanning different fields and can seamlessly switch between roles.
So, Why Hire a Generalist?
- Adaptability – They can pivot quickly and tackle new challenges head-on.
- Problem-Solving; With their broad perspective, they spot solutions others might overlook.
- Quick Connectors – Generalists can connect the dots faster. Their big-picture thinking helps them see links between ideas, speeding up decision-making.
- Communication -They can talk tech with developers and strategy with marketers, making them great team players.
- Cost-Effective – One generalist can often do the work of multiple specialists, saving money.
In a Nutshell, Generalists bring flexibility, swift problem-solving, and a fresh perspective that sees the forest and the trees. It’s time we appreciate the unique flair they bring to the table!
Feel free to share this post with someone who needs to read this!